Sunday, November 13, 2011

Finding My Way



I’ve been a Christian for many, many years. In that time I have served in many capacities and really enjoyed it. However, to my dismay things began to change. It all began to feel like a facade, and the words that kept going through my mind were ‘are we the modern day Pharisees?’

I did some Bible research and realized that many churches are missing the mark set out in Scripture. At the time I was serving in a leadership role, and though I was a volunteer, I was asked to attend all staff meetings, which I did. In fact, most of my time was spent at the church. But now, I felt like something was wrong.

I stopped going initially, although I did try going regularly numerous times after that as an attendee before walking away for good. It’s not that I’m a loud, insistent person. I’m really more of a guarded person who truly desires to reflect Christ to others, and I often get used and taken for granted because of that quality. I prayed to God, I wept...but I still felt like a stranger amidst His people, even though I’d known many of them for years. 

I was at a crossroad not knowing which way to turn. So I stopped there and went nowhere until I could find my way again.

For those in between years, on that Crossroad, I continued to read the Word, pray, study, meet with friends, etc. I even hosted and taught a Bible study on eschatology for a year. I loved it!

I’ve recently started attending a little church in our community. It’s been there a long time, but the leadership changed about 5 years ago and I have been watching it grow. A couple of my children and their spouses attend there and love it....so I thought I’d try it.

There’s something different there. Something very real...and maybe, just maybe I’ll finally feel like it's right. I really hope so.

Pray for me, will you?

Blessings,
Carmen

3 comments:

  1. Praying for you as you step out, Carmen. Can you share which church it is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda, it's Gateway Church, the old Bethel Tabernacle (Tim Schindel)in Valleyview. The Pastor is Len DenBraber. I'm really enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Carmen, I will be praying for you! I know your choices and concerns aren't easy. We have discovered that churches we once loved have become too much about entertaining and not sharing core truths. It is hard to find that--it's what we wanted and hopefully we have where we are now. Glad that you listened to the Holy Spirit leading you.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your insights! Thanks for visiting!