Tuesday, August 24, 2010

If This Gospel is True...

-->
I’m not going to lie...I’ve had some struggles lately. I’ve asked a lot of questions and spent a lot of time wondering. Is this unusual for someone who has been a Christian since 1978? It seemed so simple back then, but I can’t help but wonder now.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not questioning my faith. I am questioning what I believe—or perhaps, how much of the Bible I believe. Because, you see...if I don’t believe all of it, I really can’t believe any of it.

There are many ‘difficult’ passages in the Bible. These are things that I, and perhaps you, ‘gloss over’ to deal with another time.  I’d rather read all the nice things about how much Jesus loves me; about how He’s there for me; about how He’ll never leave or forsake me. Those are the kind of things that we all love to read and meditate on.

But there’s more.

I’ve been truly challenged lately. Here’s a big one I’ve been dealing with:
If we all become like Jesus, the Bible says that the world will hate us!  This tells me that the danger of our lives increase in proportion to the depth of our relationship with Christ. The more we become like Him, the more people will treat us like they treated Him. I believe that amounts to rejection, scourging, hatred, even death.

Here in the west, we practise a comfortable Christianity. It is a philosophy of church based on how we can best mimic the world in order to appeal to it. Does anyone else see anything wrong with that?

What does the Bible actually teach?

What do you think it means to be a Christian?

3 comments:

  1. Doing my best to be all GOD created me to be...
    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. A tough thing to ponder for sure, Carmen! I find myself wondering such things every once in a while. Like I really wonder if I'd be willing to be a Christian in China. I'd love to say "YES" without batting an eyelash, but I can't.

    Important considerations...

    :-) Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh....you threw a lot of stuff out there in those last sentences!

    It is one thing to believe what you read and another to act upon what you believe. I think this is where I fall short--not in unbelief, but in practice.

    I think what you say about our growing to be like Christ is true. Christ was perfect, and the more perfect we try to become, the less we look like those around us--because we have chosen to take that higher stand.

    However, being "high and mighty" Christians is not going to help us in the cause of Christ. Although this doesn't mean being "of the world" as far as the church bringing in the world view/culture/etc., it does mean that we need to live in the world, with everyone, loving them as He loves us.

    That's all very challenging for imperfect people!

    Questions are good, so long as your faith is not rattled. Love that you felt comfortable enough to share with us, because we want to keep you faithful!!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your insights! Thanks for visiting!