Monday, April 12, 2010

The Testing of our Faith

-->

The testing of our faith comes when we least expect it. It comes when we are searching hard and think we are making progress. Worse yet, it often comes from the people we least expect it from. That is what has recently happened to me.

It'll come through those we love, those we thought were stronger than us, those we respect, and those whom we know are smarter than us. It doesn't only come from those who oppose us.

Testing catches us unaware as we try to ascertain what is happening. Worst of all, it makes us doubt.
We may doubt for a moment, a day or a lifetime, but testing will make us re-evaluate what we believe.

This is the nature of a test.  It is meant to make you stop and think. The purpose in it is to see what manner of person you are. It is to show you where you are in this walk.

Are  you ready to give an answer?
Who will you turn to?
What is the strength of your faith?
Where will this lead you?

Testing also gives you direction as you come face to face with your weaknesses. It will cause you to consider what you believe and why. Testing, in fact, can make us stronger.

How will you hold up under testing when talking to a New Atheist Scientist or a New Age advocate?  How about those in the Emergent Churches, or those who have embraced Christian Mysticism...do we even know what those things are? Sometimes the fire is supposedly “friendly” fire.  We must be ready.

“Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened to you; but rejoice to the extent that you partake of Christ's sufferings, that when His glory is revealed, you may also be glad with exceeding joy. If you are reproached for the name of Christ, blessed are you, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you. On their part He is blasphemed, but on your part He is glorified.” 1 Peter 4:12-14

Thank you for stopping by!

4 comments:

  1. You've definitely given me something to think about. I know before I have been asked why I believe in God and when I wasn't able to come up with what was a suitable answer for the askee, it left me questioning myself and what I believe. Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good post Carmen. Seems like we let ourselves get lazy, at least I do, and am not as prepared when I am tested. Thank you for keeping us on our toes. I hope your situation worked out well:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. God's plans are interesting, aren't they. Testing comes from those we least expect--yeah! Surprise! Not so much, I guess....

    Sometimes, we get so lost in a trial that we forget what happens after we get through one. Bringing up my Beth Moore fruit of the Spirit study, again--since we're fresh off "faithfulness"--we demonstrate our faith by going THROUGH the trials and not skirting around them. Our perseverance is meant to grow us, refine us, perfect us. If we're keeping our eyes where they should be, God will not let us fall, even as our human selves with doubt, question, and otherwise be shaken.

    Jesus clung to the Word of God as He was tested, and we must do the same, knowing that we are never alone and our testing falls under God's good for us.

    I hope you are able standing firm and not rattled!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sue! It's tough, but then it's not really a trial if it isn't tough. I'm over 30 years now, so it's not my first trial, but probably the hardest one so far. I may be shaken, but I'm not moved.:)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your insights! Thanks for visiting!