Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Just a Thought.


Lately, inspiration seems to come in the wee hours of the night. This was the case again last night so today I thought about it some more. I always take time to thank God for everything in my life. I find that thankfulness is its own fulfillment. It just feels good to thank someone for doing a great job, and God is certainly worthy of thanks. It's a good thing we are not God. We would have one mess of a world!

There are so many things to thank God for - your family, friends, job, etc. So many good things happen. Last night was a bit different. I thanked God for some of the bad things that have happened and are happening in my life even now.

Why would I do this?

This was the realization!

The realization that hit me hard, was that the total of who I am today is a whole trunk-full of all that’s happened to me over my lifetime; the good and the bad; the pretty and the ugly; the lovely and the unlovely. They make me who I am.

I’m learning a lot on the way. I’m learning whom I can and can’t trust; what I should and shouldn’t do; when to keep my mouth shut and when to open it. I’m learning that it's okay when things just don’t make sense.
I understand that patience is a virtue, that you should always give others the benefit of the doubt, that to get angry quickly is to lose control, and the importance of treating others with love and respect. Without those realizations, I would flitter and flutter through life unaware of how I’m affecting anyone else.

Why is it that bad experiences can teach us so much good? There ARE still the good things. However, I find that most often people choose the hard roads in life. They’re the routes that you don’t want to have to do over a second time.

In spite of this --

I find I'm still learning.
I will continue learning all the days I have left.
I wouldn't want it any other way!

How about you? Do you remember to give thanks always in ALL things?

Eccl. 3:11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also He has put eternity in their hearts, except that no one can find out the work that God does from beginning to end.

Gal. 5:22,23 For the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

Isaiah 55:9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Thanks for visiting!
Carmen

7 comments:

  1. You are so right, my friend! What a great post to ponder this Thanksgiving season (for us here in the US). Thanks for sharing your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carmen,
    Thank you for this reminder. I try to give thanks to everything but I admit lately that there are times when I have to ask, "Why?" and usually later on, I understand and then am thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carmen, this is so true. It's funny but Laurinda and I were talking about this very thing over the weekend. Despite our mistakes and our perceived failures, we can be thankful in them because they have all combined to make us into the person we are today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes when I am giving thanks, another person will hear me and ask why in the world I would be thankful for something that seems negative. I know there it a bigger plan though and I am just happy to be a part of that plan no matter what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I often wish I could figure it all out, I'm thankful to still be learning too.

    When I was at the prison worship service last week the inmates shared what they were thankful for. Even incarcerated, with no material possessions and little pesonal freedom, they still had lots to be thankful for...like Jesus, a new day, new mercies and forgiveness. I was humbled by their powerful example...and reminded that I am blessed, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You haven't posted in awhile but I wanted to tell you thank you for all your concern and encouragement to me! I so appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do give thanks in all things. I am trying to give lots this year because I know so many people are in need. Giving of what I have is a way of giving thanks go God for all he has given to me.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your insights! Thanks for visiting!