Sunday, October 25, 2009

A Stroll Through Ecclesiastes


-->
                                                                                                                                            Source: rediscoveringthebible.com


I’ve been mulling around in Ecclesiastes lately. You know, I’ve heard people say that they don’t bother to read this book because Solomon was depressed when he wrote it. My findings are that this book is incredible!! I really love this book! To me it represents the very things we learn as we grow a little older and wiser in this very secular world. Solomon just laid it all out for us a few years ago...well...quite a few years ago.

So I thought it would be fun to look at a few verses that always seem to speak to me. There's plenty more...but here's some of them:

-Do not give heed to everything that is said, lest you hear your servant cursing you—For often your own heart knows that you have likewise cursed others. 7:21,22

Whenever someone says something about us, we become depressed, angry, outraged or indifferent (depending on who it is). It doesn’t even matter if it’s true. However, here it's put into perspective. I think it’s the splinter/beam issue. It’s so much easier to find fault with others, than with ourselves and yet we too are often guilty of the very same thing. Any argument on that? Not from me!

-Because the sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, the hearts of the sons of men are fully set to do evil. 8:11

I was surprised to find this little gem when I first came across it. So true!! Isn’t this the world we live in today? Isn’t this what our system is all about? In fact, right seems to be wrong, and wrong seems to be right. It’s not even about what’s true anymore, it’s who can get the most expensive lawyer. Again, no argument from me on this verse!

I returned and saw under the sun that the race is not to the swift nor the battle to the strong, neither is bread to the wise, nor riches to men of intelligence and understanding, nor favour to men of skill; but time and chance happens to them all. 9:11

Actually, I love this verse. Once again, nit’s not about US! God blessed you! God chose you! God gave to you! God allowed it to happen! You can be fastest, strongest, wisest, most intelligent, understanding and skillful, but time and chance happens to ALL. It kind of brings me hope because there's still time for God to work on me!

-He has made everything beautiful in its time. He also has planted eternity in men's hearts and minds, yet so that men cannot find out what God has done from the beginning to the end. 3:11

I know you recognize this verse. I love this one because it answers why people still look at evolution as something viable. It takes faith to believe anything about origins, since none of us were there. It explains why life on this planet is short no matter how old we are when we die. It confirms to me that there is life after death.

-All has been heard; the end of the matter is: Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is the whole of man and the whole for every man. 12:13

This is a life verse for me. When I find myself complicating things, I always remember this verse. That word “whole” means it is good for us, it makes us whole. Maybe it’s oversimplified for some, but it works for me!

Okay, I'm done my stroll and going home to enjoy a coffee now. Wanna join me?

PS: All verses taken from the Amplified Bible.

Until next time,
Carmen

2 comments:

  1. I am almost finished with David Jeremiah's book, "Searching for Heaven on Earth" It is probably one of the best devotional books I have read. It is worth savoring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Ecc, I just can't spell it. I opened a fresh bag of Columbian coffee this morning. It was awesome. I liked your post and will have to read it again to let it soak in.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your insights! Thanks for visiting!