Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Good The Bad & The Properly Clad

                                                          Source:Ponderingsbydris.blogspot.ca

Matthew 22: 2-13 "Then he said to his servants, 'The wedding banquet is ready, but those I invited did not deserve to come. Go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.' So the servants went out into the streets and gathered all the people they could find, both good and bad, and the wedding hall was filled with guests. "But when the king came in to see the guests, he noticed a man there who was not wearing wedding clothes. 'Friend,' he asked, 'how did you get in here without wedding clothes?' The man was speechless. "Then the king told the attendants, "Tie him hand and foot, and throw him outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.' "For many are invited, but few are chosen."

This portion of scripture has always fascinated me. The servants were told to invite people to the banquet who were both bad and good, but yet the king noticed the person who was inappropriately dressed. Why?

In our humanity we want to believe that our goodness saves us. Don’t we? We secretly believe that we were chosen because somehow we were better than others. The truth is, it is Christ’s righteousness that saves us, and we must be clothed in his righteousness in order to be accepted. We cannot save ourselves or anyone else by our good works. The man in the story was thrown out because he was not wearing the garment of salvation; the garment of Christ’s righteousness. He tried to get in on his own merit.

Ephesians 2:8,9 “For by grace you are saved through faith; and that not of yourselves. It is the gift of God. Not by works, lest any man should boast.”


Isaiah 61:10 "I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels."

Apathy 101

I think it’s interesting that many of the king’s original invites would not come—in fact, the language used says that they refused to come. So the king, abundant in grace and mercy, invites them again. This time, they just ignored the invite. Too busy doing their own stuff, I guess.

This is such a true picture of where many are today. We are so busy with our lives, our interests, our businesses, that God has very little place in our lives. We believe He’s real, but we are only just acquaintances.

I say this to you only because I think it to myself and I wonder—have I become lax towards Him? Am I taste-less, or lukewarm?

I believe some even accept Christ as an insurance policy just in case it’s all true. How easily we deceive ourselves. You can’t fool God!

I was reading today in Acts where handkerchiefs which had touched Paul’s skin were carried away and put on the sick and their diseases left, and the evil spirits came out of them. Even their shadows healed people. Why don’t we see this kind of healing today?

I continue to believe we will see this happening soon, but it’s going to take trusting relationship, true love, and unwavering commitment through faith.

Are we available?

Be encouraged by Jesus’ words:

John 14:12-14 “I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.”

6 comments:

  1. I've always been a little confused by and yet drawn to this passage. I appreciate you insight into it. You're a really good communicator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this passage as well. Isn't that the same story where it is said not to sit at the most high position because it is better to be asked to move up than down? I try to look past appearances of people but I admit that sometimes it is diffucult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a very thought provoking post. I know for myself that too often I have let my relationship with God grow lax. I've used the excuse of, well...there is always tomorrow...when in truth there often isn't. Thank-you for such a wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes...one more thing...I wanted to let you know that I left you an award over on my blog. Hope you have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I lost my beloved mother in March and god has gotten me thru the pain and close blogging friends. Lovely post

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our human-ness really gets in the way of receiving Jesus' true message of salvation, doesn't it? As we travel along the path of being made "like Christ" it is so easy to lose our way and listen to the lies of society instead of the Voice of Truth. Our goodness is of no value to God. How humbling is that?

    Thanks for the good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your insights! Thanks for visiting!