Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Life Preserver


Acts 5:31 Amplified Bible

God exalted Him to His right hand to be Prince and Leader and Savior and Deliverer and Preserver, in order to grant repentance to Israel and to bestow forgiveness and release from sins.

I was doing some reading this morning when I came across this verse in Acts. Sometimes a word just pops up from the page and hits you. Some call that a rhema word. Anyway, today it was a solitary word, and the word was "Preserver." Now the rest of the words in this verse are certainly rich in meaning, but I hadn't noticed this particular word in this particular verse before...and I love it!

I looked further and found that even Webster's agrees with the Amplified on the word. In fact, the translation comes from the word "Savior."

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

Savior

1. One who saves, preserves, or delivers from destruction or danger.
2. Specifically: The (or our, your, etc.) Savior, he who brings salvation to men; Jesus Christ, the Redeemer.

But, I wanted to know what the word preserve officially meant. Here's the best description I've found.

Preserve (Latin-Greek Cross References)

1. A confectionary preparation of fruit or other vegetable products preserved with sugar; jam.
2. To keep safe from harm or injury; to keep in safety, save, take care of, guard.
3. To keep alive, keep from perishing; to keep in existence, keep from decay, make lasting (a material thing, a name, a memory).


Few versions included the word "Preserver" in this verse, but I think it should be there. To me, this post is self-explanatory. I knew he was my Preserver, but it's nice to see it in writing!

Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Some really good thoughts here. I know he preserves me through each day but I never thought of him in this way. But I know I cling to him like a life preserver in those dark days.
    Well written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when God's Word speaks to us so clearly. I often pray that He will keep His word alive in me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never noticed it either before now. Very interesting. I do think it belongs too. As for the jam preserver, we used lots of that this weekend. We made strawberry jam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh YUMMY! When we go to the Island around August, we make Blackberry Jam with my husbands cousins...soooooo good! I love strawberry jam too! =)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your insights! Thanks for visiting!