Monday, April 27, 2009

"I Do"...Until "I Don't"

Venting Alert...

Why does the government think it can solve everyone's problems by just making up a new contract? I was shocked to see that some countries are actually thinking of adopting a marriage contract that lasts 7 years. After that time, you can say "I do" or "I don't" and go on your merry way.

Or can you?

Actually, you can't!

The same rule still applies as to marriage or common law relationships. You split everything in the end. So what possible solution is there in having a 7 year marriage contract I wonder?

I would think it makes it easier not to work on your marriage. You can always back out. No one would consider a married man or woman off limits anymore because they can still say "I don't," which would probably also make adultery more widespread.

I can hear it now..."Oh, I don't plan on staying with him/her...it's not working out anyway." It's all good...or is it?

What if your mate wants a 7 year marriage and you want a lifelong marriage? Wouldn't you reconsider marriage if he/she was only willing to commit for 7 years to "see how it goes"? How much faith would you have in that kind of marriage arrangement? In that case there's really no lasting commitment anyway, so wouldn't most people just live together? Why even have a contract?

I personally don't see the point in living together; you're either committed or you're not, but people do it all the time. I personally disagree with most divorce, but is this really a solution to either?

A failed marriage is like a divorce, isn't it? The pain is still there, the financial obligations are still there, and the kids will probably still be there suffering the consequences. No, I just don't get it.

The only solution to divorce is to think twice about what you're doing before you do it and be committed in the first place. There's just too much at stake.

Okay, I feel better now.

For more information, go to the Fox News Video called "I do...for now"

In the meantime, remember to think before you act, and have a wonderful week!

9 comments:

  1. Wow - i had not realized that this was even a consideration... :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really doesn't make much sense to me either. Even though my husband and I have had some rocky times and, truth be told our marriage almost ended in divorce, we've made a commitment to each other and are doing our best to work and learn and grow together. I don't see how having a 7 year legally binding marriage is going to help make any difference and comes across as being more of an excuse to quit than to actually try! Like you said...if at the end of 7 years you decide you don't want the marriage anymore, you still have to go through the whole legal process to extricate yourself. I also agree on the whole living together issue...because honestly if you are that "committed" to each other, why not just get married?! Any kind of commitment to a person is not something that anyone should take to lightly because well...it has a chance of hurting others and ruining lives. I don't think though that many people think about that kind of thing anymore and it's more a, " follow-the-hormones" kinda thing. Sad really....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think every marriage goes through its ups and downs and it's more work than we expected sometimes, but that's what it's all about...and it's worth it! Like you mentioned, you shouldn't go into something like this lightly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well that's a new one! I wouldn't marry if that was the rule!! Who'd want to go that far and now that in a year or two the other could back out??

    ReplyDelete
  5. No kidding, eh? What are they thinking?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a topsy turvey world we live in. COMMITMENT is a word most people seem to have forgotten when it comes to marriage. Honestly, when I see how things are going, morally and culturally, I'm glad I'm in my seventies. There's a lot of inevitable outcomes I just don't want to see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's just getting crazy out there. I do wish that there was a waiting period before a couple gets married. I think that would be a good thing. Too many people get married without really knowing each other. Great post Carmen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's definitely a strange world out there. It seems that as knowledge increases, so does foolishness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carmen, I'm gonna agree with you. When it comes to marriage, you're in or you're out. There's no "let's see how it goes."

    I most certainly wouldn't want to be with someone who'd only marry me if he got an out after seven years.

    Thanks for venting. It's good information. ; )

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your insights! Thanks for visiting!